Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Being a Black Police Officer...

In the fall semester of 2006 I had a college class that dealt with inequalities in the work force. For my final Research paper I chose the inequality of being a Black Officer in this profession. . The theme of the paper is why would a black person want to become a police officer in a country that historically oppresses them? After doing all my research the reason many black people choose this profession is because of economic factors. Police Officers receive decent pay and benefits. The excerpt of my 20 page paper that is being posted is about the interview I did with a Black officer. The interview was conducted on November 26, 2006 via telephone. If anyone would like to read the entire paper please contact Calvin.



TRG: What is your rank? How long have you been a police officer?

Green: My name is Gerry Green and I am a Sergeant for the Nutley Police Force in Essex County, NJ. I have been a Police Officer for 13.5 years. I started as patrol man and moved my way up to detective (7yrs) and now currently a Sergeant.


TRG: What made you decide to become an officer of the law? Do you believe you are doing a good thing or trying to correct the past?

Green: I was born into a family of eleven children. We lived in North Carolina then moved to New York City then finally Newark, NJ. The majority of my brothers and sisters went down the wrong path in life. I decided to enter the military. I was in the service for seven years and went to 13 different countries; Served in Kuwait for the first Middle East War (Desert Storm). I wanted to maintain a positive image after leaving the military. Coming where I was from there were many negative images and lifestyles and I didn'tÂ’t want to fall victim to them. I wanted something different in life and wanted to see change.


TRG: Why did you choose the police force you work for? Have you worked anywhere else? How many police officers work on your force? How many African Americans are there? Are there any females or other minorities?

Green: It was a county wide test that I took to become a police officer so I was able to choose any city/town in the county. The township of Nutley reached out to me for a position as an officer. Nutley has been historically white and male. I was the first African American police officer in the department. There was one female prior to me. The police force currently has 65 officers I am the only minority and there are 3 females cops. Nutley also pays more than some other areas that is why I chose it. I have a wife and two children and need to look out for their interests.


TRG: Do you experience racism at work? From white co-workers? From community that you patrol?

Green: I have never experienced blatant racism from co-works. Initially, I felt blatant racism from the community because I was different than what they knew. Nutley is predominately white Italians. While making arrests I have been called “nigger” and “everything else under the sun”. I feel call me what you want but as soon as you touch me we have a problem. As time has gone on community has accepted more. I can only speculate racism from co-workers. There has never been anything overtly said or done to me. I do not accept or allow any type of racial joking to occur. Nothing has ever come back to me about racist nature from co-workers. There is invert racism which is when a black person or another minority is arrested and they send me in to “handle the situation”. I see a negative and positive side to this. Negative because why is it assumed I can do a better job with this person that a white officer? Positive because maybe the apprehended person will feel more comfortable talking to me.


TRG: Does geographic location make a difference? Are there more acceptances of black officers in the North rather than in the South?

Green: There is definitely more acceptance in North than in the South.


TRG: Is there any stereotyping or racial profiling in your department? Do you use these methods?

Green:I do not believe in Racial Profiling or Stereotyping. I judge a persons conduct rather than physical appearance. The department does not use these methods either. There are many times white people in community will call and tell police there is a black person walking down the street and unless there is any suspicious activity there is no need to investigate because a black person has just as much rights to walk down the street as a white person.


I want to personally thank Sergeant Green for his interview and taking the time out to answer these questions. We must rememeber that even though the LAW is not designed to uphold the rights for everyone there are still people like Sergeant Green who are trying to make positive things happen in their community. Not every cop is bad and we must embrace those officers who understand the struggle and help in it. Yet, we must not forget there are officers who do not wish to treat everyone fair and equal. It is this officers we must eliminate BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY! YA BASTA!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.